Challock
Kent Village of the year 2004
Main Village Website
History
Home.
2000-09.
1960-69.
1950-59.
1940-49.
1930-39.
1920-29.
1910-19.
1900-09.
1800's.
1700's.
1600's.
1500's.
1400's.
1300,s.
1200's.
1100's.
800's.
BC/AD.
Various.

Alll rights to content held by Deryck M Sutton.

As far as we can tell the village of challock dates from around 823.  The original name of the village was CEALUELOCA  or  CEALFALOCUM which translates as enclosure of calves from the old English Saxon CEALF  Calf and LOCA enclosure.  It is probable that there were some people in the area from Roman Times using the grazing areas and making use of the timber.   At some time a shrine or chapel was probably erected on the site of the present church.

The area has about 25% woodland and the soil is mostly chalky with flint over.  
Additional facts:
802-839 Egbert King of Wessex
824 Vikings Plunder Bangor
840 Minster Abbey (Thanet) Burnt down.
800's