Challock
Kent Village of the year 2004
Main Village Website
History
Home.
2000-09.
1960-69.
1950-59.
1940-49.
1930-39.
1920-29.
1910-19.
1900-09.
1800's.
1700's.
1600's.
1500's.
1400's.
1300,s.
1200's.
1100's.
800's.
BC/AD.
Various.

Alll rights to content held by Deryck M Sutton.

1800's
The School House (now a private house) was built in 1866 and has an inscription “Wisdom hath builded her house”  It stands on the north side of the A252 opposite the entrance to Church Lane.  It had one main room and two small lobbies, one for boys and one for girls.

Kent police recruits passing out in 1885. The man top right is Walter Potter who is mentioned as the retired policeman in the 1917 poem (see 1910-1919 above)

Pictures supplied by Hugh Potter. Click photos for full size

Challock  Church 1890

A wedding party can just be seen

Walter Potter enhanced from photo on left.  (This photo does not enlarge)

See also 1900-1909

From a social standpoint it is interesting to note the police hats, known as Shako's, in these photos. These were phased out around 1897 and the change is seen in the later picture in 1906 (see 1900-1909) with the more recognizable "Bobbies Helmet"

This photo is of William Hams senior born 1793.

For more photos of the Hams family click here or on Hams on the 1800's drop down menu above.

This is either John Chapman of Nine Chimneys or could be his father

William Chapman 1815-89

Pictures by Fred Hams - click on any picture for full size

There are more pages for the 1800,s They are:

Kellys Directory for 1871

Brisley House Sale 1855

Electors Lists

Hams family pictures

Surnames - Names found in this century

(Information by Mary Doody (Aiusten)

 

On the 4th December 1894 the first

Parish Council was formed.

Five people were elected as follows:

James Austen     15 votes

Walter Summers  13 votes    Chairman

John Smith          11 votes

John Epps           10 votes

Thomas Wallis       8 votes